Making a plan NOW can help you cope better with likely medical situations and make the best choice for treatment.
For example, talking to your GP about their arrangements for after hours services. It’s the little things that make a difference in an emergency.
Here are some tips on what to plan for:
- Do you have a regular GP you know and trust? Go to Find a Local GP on this website to locate a GP near you.
- Where is your Medicare card? Is it up-to-date?
- Do you have any x-rays that you might have to take with you? Where are they?
- Do you know the after hours arrangements for your regular GP?
- Can you take any current medicine packaging to the hospital with you?
- Where is your nearest emergency department?
- Do you know the route to hospital?
- Do you have the phone number of someone who can look after your children if need be?
- Do you need a translator?